Monday, May 24, 2010

Smoke!

Adam and I were laying in bed last night watching a movie when all of the sudden i asked Adam if he smelled smoke. I know that being pregnant i can smell wet dog from 3 rooms away, or smell dirty feet from across the room. He sat up and sniffed and said he smelled smoke too. He walked into the hall and opened Asa's room, and said "Ana!" (in a very alarmed voice) i jumped up immediately thinking there was smoke coming from Asa's room! I walked into the hallway and saw smoke in the hallway. I followed Adam's voice into the kitchen, and looked to see that the dishwasher was smoking!?! I started opening doors, and windows to try to let the smoke out, as Adam went into the garage to get the fire extinguisher. We weren't sure once the dishwasher door opened if there would be a fire or what. Adam opened the door and there was not a fire, just a little more smoke. We weren't sure what was going on? I told him that i had pushed this Air Dry/Lock button on the dishwasher once it was running, because Asa was trying to push the buttons on the washer. I thought this would lock the buttons. This is the only thing i could think of that would cause this to happen. Adam ran the dishwasher today and everything ran fine and no smoke. I guess we will not be pushing that button again!

After we settled down and climbed back into bed after the ordeal, i was trying to calm my heart and my nerves, and all of the sudden i realized that Caeda was not in bed with us. Panic again...and we were both up searching for Caeda. For a bit we had all of the doors open (back, front, garage, and basement) so we searched the house thoroughly and couldn't find her. We thought she could have gotten outside. By the way, it was about 10:30 and pitch black outside at this point. Adam went out the garage to search and i went out the back door. I looked off of the deck, and there she was sitting right to the side of the deck. (We don't have any steps on the deck yet) She must have jumped down from the deck and couldn't get back up.

After all was said and done, we had no fire, and our family was safe...what a nightmare.

The biggest God point of them all, was that this happened the day Adam got home from his weekend trip. The night before he left we heard noises in the house sounding like someone was coming in our house, only to have Adam investigate and find it was the wind opening and closing the storm door. I can't imagine either of those things happening when Adam was gone!

No comments: